It’s the most wonderful time of the year! No, we aren’t talking about the holiday season. Over here, we think roof replacement season is the best time of year!
…no? Just us?
We get it. For homeowners, a roof replacement can be hugely stressful. Especially when it comes to finances. If a roof replacement is in your future, your head is likely swirling with thoughts, including:
- How much does a roof replacement cost?
- Does the price change with the roof materials?
- Can I DIY my roof replacement?
We’ll answer all that and more so that you can become a roof replacement expert!
When Should You Consider a Roof Replacement?
Roof replacements are a hassle that no one wants to voluntarily take on. So, how do you know when a roof replacement is right for you? Here are some ways to determine whether or not your roof is at the end of its life.
- Professional Inspection – The best way to understand the state of your roof is to have a professional take a look at it! Professional roof inspections can help you determine what solutions are available to you and whether it is time to invest in a new roof.
- Leaky Roof – A leaking roof is never a good sign, but if it is happening even after your roof is repaired, you are likely dealing with a bigger issue that will require a fresh slate.
- Missing Shingles – It’s not uncommon for shingles to blow off now and then during a bout of stormy weather. However, if you are finding blown-off shingles in your yard frequently, it may be time to start looking into new roofing materials.
- Damaged Flashing – Roof flashing consists of sheets of flexible metal that are installed around vulnerable areas of your roof to protect against water damage. Over time, the metal can rust and corrode, which can allow water to seep through.
- Age – Of course, one of the easiest ways to determine whether your roof is ready to go is its age. Most asphalt shingle roofs will only last for 15-20 years, meaning that if it has been longer than that, you’ll definitely want to consider a roof replacement.
How Much Will a Roof Replacement Cost?
Roof replacement costs can feel intimidating and cause many homeowners to put off doing the work that needs to get done. Not only will this likely cause more problems for you in the long run, but you may find that you are worrying unnecessarily.
Lots of factors go into determining the overall cost of a roof replacement, including:
- The size of your home 📏
- The materials you choose 🧱
- The area you live in 📍
- The time of year 🗓️
That being said, we do have some general data. The national average cost to replace a roof falls somewhere between $8,500-$15,000. Keep in mind, though, that some roofing materials could significantly raise that cost.
Roof Replacement Cost by Materials
When it comes to choosing a new roof, one of the biggest decisions you need to make is determining which roofing material you want for your home. Each one comes with distinct pros and cons – and different price ranges. Check out our list of the most popular roofing materials on the market.
When it comes to a tried and true roofing material, you simply can’t go wrong with asphalt shingles. As one of the most common roofing materials, asphalt shingles are known for their affordability, ease of installation, and simple maintenance. With a lifespan of 15-20 years, they are one of the shorter-lived options on the list but come in a wide variety of colors to match any home.
💰 Cost: $4.25-$8.25 per square foot
In the past, metal roofs were almost exclusively reserved for commercial buildings and storage units. More and more homeowners are seeing the benefits of this sturdy roofing material, though. A metal roof can last around 50 years and requires virtually no maintenance.
💰 Cost: $8.50-$16.00 per square foot
There’s nothing quite like the rustic beauty of a wooden roof. Cedar shakes or shingles are a great choice for homeowners who want an eco-conscious roofing choice. While wood shingles can last for roughly 30 years, they require a great deal of maintenance in order to avoid rot and pest problems.
💰 Cost: $10-$16 per square foot
Tile roofs are a regional favorite, typically reserved for Spanish-style homes in warm climates. All that being said, we think tile roofs look great on any home! Clay tiles can last for more than 50 years, although they don’t have the best impact resistance.
💰 Cost: $8-$25 per square foot
A slate roof is known in some circles as a “forever roof” due to its longevity. In fact, some slate roofs have been known to last over 100 years! Keep in mind that slate is a really heavy material and may require some extra reinforcement that can add to the overall cost.
💰 Cost: $10-$30 per square foot
Can I DIY My Roof Replacement?
If all this talk about new roof costs has you reaching for your toolbelt, hold up! While a DIY roof replacement may sound like a great way to save money, it may end up costing you more in the long run. After all, improper installation can lead to severe damage to the structure of your home.
In general, we always recommend talking to a professional roofing contractor to learn about all your options when it comes to a full roof replacement.
Roof Maintenance Tips
The best way to get your money’s worth out of a new roof is to make sure that it can last for its entire lifespan. The secret? Quality maintenance. Here are a few of our favorite maintenance tips.
- Clean Your Roof – As the seasons change, it is easy for leaves, branches, and other debris to build up and block the natural flow of water from your roof. Regularly cleaning your roof and gutter system will help to keep your roof healthy.
- Repair Quickly – It can be easy to let it slide when you notice a shingle missing from your roof or other minor signs of roof damage. However, this could spiral into large amounts of damage that can be expensive to repair. We recommend repairing your roof as soon as possible.
- Annual Inspections – As we previously mentioned, professional inspections will help you to get on top of any potential problem areas on your roof. Most homeowners would benefit from getting their existing roof inspected once a year.
Talk With Professional Roofers
If you are looking for a roofing contractor that you can trust with your roof replacement, you need Distinctive Roofing. Our team consists of the best roofers in the area who can help you create a personalized plan to create a roof that works with your needs and budget. Contact us today to set up your inspection!